Stretton railway station
was a railway station
built by the North Midland Railway
which no longer exists.
Stretton station was first opened in 1841 as Smithy Moor, a year sfter the line opened, but renamed in 1843. It is also called "Shelton" in the Railway Guide.
It was situated at the Derbyshire summit and the highest point of the line, after the stations at Ambergate and Wingfield, and just before the Clay Cross Tunnel.
A station on the Ashover Light Railway from Ashover to Clay Cross was built adjoining it, and its passenger services were timed to connect with those on the North Midland.
This was mainly used to carry limestone and fluorspar to the Clay Cross Company works, but also supplied around 400 tons of ballast per week to the railway until the quarry closed in 1950.
- The North Midland Railway Guide, (1842) Republished 1973, Leeds: Turntable Enterprises
- Radford, B., (1988) Midland Through the Peak Unicorn Books