is a small village
in the county
, just off the A1 Great North Road
. The principal landmark is a large modern prison
, HMP Stocken
. Stocken Hall itself, dating principally from the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries, was used as the prison farm from the 1950s until the 1980s but is now converted into apartments
The pub is called the Jackson Stops (the name of an estate agents). It was previously called the White Horse but was for sale for so long with the estate agents' sign outside that it is now officially called by their name.
Rev. Edward Bradley (1827-89), who wrote as Cuthbert Bede, is buried in the churchyard.