Stone Cross Windmill was built in 1876 by Stephen Neve, the Warbleton millwright. Two sails were blown off in 1925. It was working by wind until 1937. The mill was used as an observation post during the Second World War. In January 1962, planning permission was granted to convert the mill into a house. Mr Ron Hall, the owner of the Mill House, bought the mill and outbuildings, and decided to restore the mill instead of converting it to residential use.
In 1966, Mr Hall started to repair the mill, which in 1977 was in a similar condtion to when it stopped working, with two sails and missing the fantail. By the 1990s, the mill was getting into disrepair, and a trust was formed to buy and restore the mill. Stone Cross Mill Trust became a registered charity in 1996, and work to restore the mill began in 1998. The mill was able to produce wholemeal flour again in 2000. In 2005, the Trust were awarded a plaque by the Society for the Protection of Ancient Buildings "in recognition of the high quality of the restoration of the mill back to working order". Funding for the restoration was provided by the Heritage Lottery Fund, South East England Development Agency, East Sussex County Council and Wealden District Council.
References for above:-