Stoiber

Stoiber-Reed-Humphreys Mansion

The Stoiber-Reed-Humphreys Mansion (a.k.a. Stoiberhof) is located at 1022 Humboldt Street in Denver CO. The mansion was built in 1907 with building materials of tan brick and tile roofing. The builders were Desjarden & Hanjansy] and the architects of the house were Marean & Norton, who also designed the mansion used today for the Governor's place of Residence. The architectural style back then was the 20th century Second Renaissance Revival.

Designated by the National Register of Historic Places as a landmark on December 29th, 1978. It is described as follows by the National Register. "A very large three story house at the S. E. corner of the Humboldt Island district; glass and metal canopy over the front door; balustrades eaves; dormers; walled yard and basement swimming pool."

This very large renaissance Mannerist Revival house with more that forty rooms is Humboldt Island's most impressive and imposing residence. It is one of only five existing homes in Denver of this grand size and quality. The house is notable for its majestic scale, exterior and interior.

The architectural heritage of the nation, as well as structures important to its history, is worthy of preservation. Such structures provide continuity of our past; they are essential to understanding and appreciation of and identity with that heritage. We fell this house is an important piece of our Denver history. It is an unusually elegant structure built in a time when Denver was still a frontier town.

The old mansion is structured on the western end of a park called Cheesman Park and this area of Denver, Colorado is known to be haunted with several writings found on the Internet.

Name of the Mansion

The name printed on the metal plate to the left of the main entrance is Stoiberhof. But over the years, the mansion has often been referred to as the Stoiber-Reed-Humphreys Mansion. This name may have been based on mistaken information. The first owners of the mansion were Ed and Lena Stoiber, tycoons of the Silver Lake Mine in Silverton CO. They named their mansion Stoiberhof. Ed Stoiber died in 1909 and Lena Stoiber married Hugh R. Rood, a wealthy businessman from Seattle. Hugh Rood died during a return trip from Europe in 1912 in the sinking of the RMS Titanic, making Lena Allen-Stoiber-Rood a widow for the third, but not last, time in her life. Shortly thereafter, Lena sold the house to A. E. Humphreys. The first three owners of Stoiberhof were the Stoiber, Rood, and Humphreys families. Over the years, the name Reed may have been substituted for the name Rood, the most likely reason being that Egbert W. Reed owned the house next door to Stoiberhof at 1040 Humboldt Street The Reeds moved to California in 1912

External Resources

The Denver Public Library has several pictures of the mansion, all of them copyrighted and for sale, 5 of them taken in 1907 immediately after the mansion was built.

External links

Search another word or see Stoiberon Dictionary | Thesaurus |Spanish
Copyright © 2014 Dictionary.com, LLC. All rights reserved.
  • Please Login or Sign Up to use the Recent Searches feature
FAVORITES
RECENT

;