The earliest signs of habitation in the area were the relics of a Bronze Age burial which were found in 1826, a little to the north of the village of Stoford. Stoford may be a Saxon name derived from Stow-Ford. In the Middle Ages, Stoford was shown as a new town and in an Inquisition or survey of 1273 there were 74 burgages each paying 10d a year. The total population of the borough in 1273 was probably over 500. Stoford kept its borough status for at least 300 years. A Guildhall was mentioned in 1361 and there is proof of a separate borough court. There was still a 'borough of Stoford' in the musters of 1569.