In 1911, Julius Bloedel, a Seattle lawyer along with his two partners, John Stewart and Patrick Welch, began acquiring large blocks of Vancouver Island forests. Their Franklin River camp soon became one of the world’s largest logging operations. Here, in the 1930s, the Canadian industry saw its first Lidgerwood steel spar yarder and chainsaw. In 1938, Bloedel Stewart and Welch became the first logging company in the province to plant seedlings in a logged-over area. BSW opened a large timber mill in Port Alberni. The company had large camps near Menzies Bay, British Columbia, Comox and Myrtle Point, just south of Powell River.
Bloedel Stewart and Welch merged with the lumber export firm of H. R. MacMillan to form MacMillan Bloedel Limited, Canada's largest forest company in the post war years, and was bought by Weyerhaeuser in 1999.