, a sterol 24-C-methyltransferase
is an enzyme
the chemical reaction
- S-adenosyl-L-methionine + 5alpha-cholesta-8,24-dien-3beta-ol S-adenosyl-L-homocysteine + 24-methylene-5alpha-cholest-8-en-3beta-ol
Thus, the two substrates of this enzyme are S-adenosyl methionine and 5alpha-cholesta-8,24-dien-3beta-ol, whereas its two products are S-adenosylhomocysteine and 24-methylene-5alpha-cholest-8-en-3beta-ol.
This enzyme belongs to the family of transferases, specifically those transferring one-carbon group methyltransferases. The systematic name of this enzyme class is S-adenosyl-L-methionine:zymosterol 24-C-methyltransferase. Other names in common use include Delta24-methyltransferase, Delta24-sterol methyltransferase, zymosterol-24-methyltransferase, S-adenosyl-4-methionine:sterol Delta24-methyltransferase, SMT1, 24-sterol C-methyltransferase, S-adenosyl-L-methionine:Delta24(23)-sterol methyltransferase, and phytosterol methyltransferase. This enzyme participates in biosynthesis of steroids. It employs one cofactor, glutathione.
- Moore JT, Gaylor JL "Isolation and purification of an S-adenosylmethionine: delta 24-sterol methyltransferase from yeast". J. Biol. Chem. 244 6334–40.
- Venkatramesh M, Guo DA, Jia Z, Nes WD "Mechanism and structural requirements for transformation of substrates by the (S)-adenosyl-L-methionine:delta 24(25)-sterol methyl transferase from Saccharomyces cerevisiae". Biochim. Biophys. Acta. 1299 313–24.
- MD, Zhou W, Lopez M and Nes WD ", Stereochemical features of C-methylation on the path to Delta24(28)-methylene and Delta24(28)-ethylidene sterols: studies on the recombinant phytosterol methyl transferase from Arabidopsis thaliana". Tetrahedron Lett. 38 6115–6118.
- Bouvier-Nave P, Husselstein T, Benveniste P "Two families of sterol methyltransferases are involved in the first and the second methylation steps of plant sterol biosynthesis". Eur. J. Biochem. 256 88–96.
- Nes WD, McCourt BS, Zhou WX, Ma J, Marshall JA, Peek LA, Brennan M "Overexpression, purification, and stereochemical studies of the recombinant (S)-adenosyl-L-methionine: delta 24(25)- to delta 24(28)-sterol methyl transferase enzyme from Saccharomyces cerevisiae". Arch. Biochem. Biophys. 353 297–311.
- The CAS registry number for this enzyme class is .
Gene Ontology (GO) codes