The constituency existed for two separate periods:
In 1889 there were administrative changes. The territory of the constituency was severed from Middlesex and included in the new County of London. The lower tier of local government in the area continued to be administered by parish vestries and local boards of works.
In the redistribution of parliamentary seats in 1918, the Metropolitan Borough was divided between three constituencies - Limehouse, Mile End and Whitechapel and St George's. The previous Stepney constituency was abolished and largely replaced by Whitechapel and St George's.
In the next major redistribution of parliamentary seats, which took effect for the United Kingdom general election, 1950, the Stepney constituency was re-created. The 1950 version of the seat comprised the whole of the Metropolitan Borough of Stepney.
In 1965 Stepney became part of the London Borough of Tower Hamlets and Greater London. When parliamentary constituencies were next redistributed, for the February 1974 general election, the area was included in the Stepney and Poplar seat.
|1885||John Charles Durant||Liberal|
|1886||Frederick Wootton Isaacson||Conservative|
|1898||William Charles Steadman||Liberal-Labour|
|1900||Sir William Eden Evans-Gordon||Conservative|
|1907||Frederick Leverton Harris||Conservative|
|1910||William Samuel Glyn-Jones||Liberal|