Stenson is a hamlet south of Derby on the Trent and Mersey Canal. Stenson Lock is claimed to be the deepest on the canal; there is also a marina and a narrowboat builders. The 'Stenson Bubble', after which the local waterside pub is named, is a small spring on the downstream side of the lock.
A railway line follows the line of the canal, part of a loop for freight bypassing Derby. This runs from the nearby Stenson Junction on the Derby-Birmingham line to Sheet Stores Junction at Sawley on the Midland Main Line.
Between Stenson and Derby itself lies the busy A50 dual-carriageway, and Stenson Fields, a large 1970s housing estate. Stenson Fields is constituted as a separate parish wholly within South Derbyshire District, but it is essentially contiguous with the Sunny Hill, Sinfin and Littleover suburbs of Derby city. The parish of Stenson Fields was created in 1983 from parts of the parish of Barrow-on-Trent and the parish of Twyford and Stenson. Originally called Sinfin Moor the name was later changed to Stenson Fields to be in keeping with the geographical and historical place name of the area. Sinfin Moor is a large tract of land to the east of Stenson Fields and Sinfin proper. Sinfin Moor is a RIGS (regionally important geological site) which formed over the bed of an ice age lake. Part of the RIGS spills over into Stenson Fields close to the Hamlet of Arleston.
Stenson itself is parished with Twyford, (). a similar village about one mile to the south, on the north bank of the River Trent.
”In Twyford and Stenson Leofric had four carucate of land to the geld. There is land for three ploughs (plows). There are now two ploughs in demesne and four villein and five bordar with one plough and one mill rendering 5 shillings have one plough. There is one mill rendering 2 shillings and 24 acres of meadow, woodland pasture one furlong long and one much broad. TRE worth eight pounds now four pounds.“
The river crossing there has not been used in recent times; there was a chain ferry there until 1963.
St Andrew's Church at Twyford is an unusual sight as from the outside it appears to be of brick construction with stone extensions and steeple. In fact the brickwork is just a fascia as internal investigation reveals. It is about 220 yards from the River Trent which floods every winter but never, it seems, has the church been flooded. However it has been damaged by lightning in 1821 and a fire in 1910. The lower part of the tower dates from 1200. Local tradition tells of “food being handed out to wayfarers from a stone framed window in a nearby farmhouse. This charity was administered by monks from a religious house of the Knights Hospitallers at the village of Arleston.