O'Grady, Standish, 1846-1928, Irish author and historian. A leader in the Irish literary renaissance, he followed his History of Ireland (1878-80) with English versions of the heroic legends of Ireland. The best are probably his volumes about Cuchulain (1892-1917; repr. 1920).
Standish, Miles or Myles, c.1584-1656, American colonist, b. England. After serving as a soldier for a number of years, Standish accompanied the Pilgrims to America on the Mayflower (1620) and was recognized at once as the military leader of Plymouth Colony. He was probably not a Puritan. He saved the colony from the Native Americans several times, most notably in 1623 when he defeated Native Americans threatening an attack on the settlement at Weymouth. In 1625 he was sent to England as a colonial agent particularly concerned with the colony's debt to its merchant backers in London. Standish was treasurer of the colony (1644-49), held other posts, and was a founder of Duxbury, Mass. Henry W. Longfellow's The Courtship of Miles Standish and James R. Lowell's Interview with Miles Standish are wholly fictional.

See biographies by J. S. C. Abbott (1872) and T. C. Porteus (1920).

Standish is a town in Cumberland County, Maine, United States. The population was 9,285 at the 2000 census. It includes the villages of Standish Corner, Sebago Lake Village and Steep Falls, and the localities known as Richville, Standish Neck and Two Trails. Standish is part of the Portland-South Portland-Biddeford, Maine Metropolitan Statistical Area.


This was once hunting and fishing territory of the Sokokis Abenaki Indians, whose main village was at Pequawket (now Fryeburg) up the Pequawket Trail (Route 113). In 1750, the Massachusetts General Court granted the township to Captain Moses Pearson and Captain Humphrey Hobbs, together with their respective companies, for services during the French and Indian Wars. It was to be called Pearson and Hobbs Town, but Hobbs died and none of his company took possession. In 1752, the land was surveyed and divided into 30 acre lots, although some soldiers sold their rights for whatever they could get. Those that did settle found their cabins razed by Indians trying to drive them away. In response, the veterans built at Standish Corner a stockaded fort, which provided protection until Indian hostilities ceased in 1759 with the Fall of Quebec. Pearsontown Plantation was incorporated as Standish on November 30, 1785. The town is named in honor of Captain Myles Standish.

Much of Standish is sandy plains covered with pine, yet farmers found considerable arable land. Watermills at various streams produced lumber, headings, shooks, barrel staves, carriages, clothing, flour, ice, plaster and packing boxes. The Cumberland and Oxford Canal opened in 1832, increasing trade between Sebago Lake and Portland. It was followed by the Portland and Ogdensburg Railroad, which on September 12, 1870 began regular passenger service between Portland and Sebago Lake Station. Tourists could arrive by train in the morning, ride a side-wheel steamboat the whole length of the lakes, then return to the city by evening. The cost of the excursion in 1876 was $1.75 from Portland to Naples, and $2.00 from Portland to Bridgton, North Bridgton or Harrison. Standish also had railroad depots at Richville and Steep Falls. In 1998, Frye Island in Sebago Lake was set off and incorporated as a separate town. Today, Standish is both a recreational area and suburb of Portland.

Notable residents


According to the United States Census Bureau, the town has a total area of 83.7 square miles (216.8 km²), of which, 59.1 square miles (153.0 km²) of it is land and 24.6 square miles (63.8 km²) of it (29.42%) is water. Situated beside Sebago Lake, Standish is drained by the Saco River, which is the town's (and Cumberland County's) southwestern border.

The town is crossed by state routes 11, 25, 25A, 35, 35A, 114 and 237. It borders the towns of Windham and Gorham to the southeast, Buxton and Hollis to the south, Limington to the west, and Baldwin and Sebago to the northwest.


As of the census of 2000, there were 9,285 people, 3,205 households, and 2,464 families residing in the town. The population density was 157.2 people per square mile (60.7/km²). There were 3,987 housing units at an average density of 67.5/sq mi (26.1/km²). The racial makeup of the town was 98.08% White, 0.39% African American, 0.16% Native American, 0.24% Asian, 0.08% Pacific Islander, 0.23% from other races, and 0.83% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 0.46% of the population.

There were 3,205 households out of which 37.0% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 64.0% were married couples living together, 8.9% had a female householder with no husband present, and 23.1% were non-families. 16.7% of all households were made up of individuals and 6.0% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.72 and the average family size was 3.03.

In the town the population was spread out with 25.3% under the age of 18, 13.1% from 18 to 24, 30.5% from 25 to 44, 23.0% from 45 to 64, and 8.2% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 34 years. For every 100 females there were 94.4 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 90.4 males.

The median income for a household in the town was $50,278, and the median income for a family was $53,461. Males had a median income of $36,235 versus $26,204 for females. The per capita income for the town was $19,504. About 1.9% of families and 3.6% of the population were below the poverty line, including 3.8% of those under age 18 and none of those age 65 or over.


Sites of interest


Further reading

  • History of Standish, Maine (1886)
  • A. J. Coolidge & J. B. Mansfield, A History and Description of New England, 1859; H. O. Houghton & Company, printers; Cambridge, Massachusetts

External links

Search another word or see Standishon Dictionary | Thesaurus |Spanish
Copyright © 2015, LLC. All rights reserved.
  • Please Login or Sign Up to use the Recent Searches feature