Long time St. Paris citizen's take on history (date unknown):
"The flourishing and enterprising town bearing the above name is prettily situated, in a basin as it were, on a very high elevation of ground. It was named after the metropolis of France by David Huffman, who laid it out in 1831. On learning of a "New, Paris” in Ohio, he prefixed to it the Saint, to avoid any difficulty that might occur in mail matter. The lots were surveyed by the old pioneer surveyor, John Arrowsmith. The first house in the town was built by David Huffman; a hewed-log house, standing on the northwest corner of Springfield and Main streets. It was a very neat piece of work, carefully made by Huffman himself, and was the pride of the neighborhood. The first frame house of any note was built by John Falkner, soon after the town had been laid out. It then became the American Hotel, on Main Street. Huffman was the first merchant, inn-keeper and Postmaster. William Rosebro was one of the early tavern-keepers, occupying the house known as the old La Rue Tavern. Jacob Protsman was the first blacksmith, and occupied a log shop on Main Street. Dan Putman was an early grocer, located on West Main Street. The town grew quite rapidly, and in the year 1845 it numbered nearly twenty houses. In 1846 or 1847, the Columbus & Piqua Railroad was built through St. Paris, which gave it great advantages over neighboring villages, and it began steadily to increase, until it is now known as one of the live towns of Champaign County, and bids fair to rival others, its seniors in years. Through the efforts of its many enterprising citizens it has become a town of fair population, studded with numerous churches, fine residences, business houses, banks and a good school. It also supported several manufacturing interests, among them carriage manufacturing, a tile factory, steam saw-mill, grist-mill, etc. It has its three grain ware rooms, where 300,000 bushels of grain are annually shipped to the markets of the country. The American House and "U. S." were the hotels of the town. The proprietor of the former is Joe A. Hellings. We were unable to get at the exact date of its incorporation as a town, but the year 1858 will not miss it far. Its first Mayor was John F. Riker, by whom a Bed and Breakfast, The Riker house on Walnut Street, is now named."
There were 781 households out of which 38.0% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 55.8% were married couples living together, 11.4% had a female householder with no husband present, and 28.8% were non-families. 25.9% of all households were made up of individuals and 11.4% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.56 and the average family size was 3.07.
In the village the population was spread out with 29.1% under the age of 18, 9.6% from 18 to 24, 29.6% from 25 to 44, 20.2% from 45 to 64, and 11.6% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 33 years. For every 100 females there were 87.1 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 82.8 males.
The median income for a household in the village was $39,917, and the median income for a family was $47,014. Males had a median income of $35,417 versus $22,326 for females. The per capita income for the village was $16,811. About 8.8% of families and 8.8% of the population were below the poverty line, including 10.8% of those under age 18 and 9.1% of those age 65 or over.