The passenger services was withdrawn on 7 September, 1964. The line was then used for freight until 18th September 1967 and the line then closed between north of Romsey to Andover. The track remained for 4 years after the line was closed. Much of the route between Kimbridge and Chilbolton is now used by the Test Way long-distance footpath.
The second possible origin of the name may be after the seafood that was carried from Southampton to Andover.
The third possible origin may be that the line is simply named after a type of railway coupling.
With the fast expansion of railways around the UK, the canal company decided to convert the canal into a railway to shorten the distance and increase the speed of the route. In 1857 the canal company changed its name to the Andover Canal & Railway Company.
The work of converting the canal to a railway started 28 September, 1859, with the serving British Prime Minister, the Rt. Hon. Lord Palmerston K.G, ceremonially cutting the first sod. The railway was built on the filled in canal and was opened for traffic on March 6, 1865. Because the line followed the path of the old canal some curves were very sharp and the line was upgraded and realigned when a new course was laid in 1885.
With better road networks being built and whilst ignoring the expansion of Andover, the decision was made to close the line north of Romsey.