It was an important junction point on the Eastern Railway. It was opened in 1886 as a stage of the Chidlow to Northam railway. It was operating as a stopping place from 1888 at 50 miles 44 chains from Perth.
Spencers Brook was the location of railway tearooms and a watering tank tower as it was a significant stop in the pre-1966 era of steam locomotives. It was just west of the junction where the Eastern railway continued to Northam, and the Great Southern Railway continued to Albany.
Spencers Brook is home to the historical Spencers Brook Tavern established in 1884 and to the Muresk Institute, Curtin University's school of agribusiness, applied biosciences and environmental biology.
The current closest commercial centre is Northam.