Speechless is the ninth studio album from Christian singer Steven Curtis Chapman. It was released on June 15 1999, by Sparrow Records.
It has been certified Platinum as of November 27, 2000, by the RIAA. Chapman received the 2000 Grammy Award for Best Pop/Contemporary Gospel Album and Dove Awards for Pop/Contemporary Album of the Year and Pop/Contemporary Recorded Song of the Year (for "Dive").
The album also charted more #1 hits (seven) on Christian contemporary radio than any other of Chapman's albums: "The Change," "Fingerprints of God," "The Invitation," "Great Expectations," "Be Still And Know," "Dive," and the title song. The album is considered one of Chapman's greater works by many, and is recognized by many as being one of the best Christian albums of all time.
The concert tour in support of "Speechless" featured longtime friend and co-writer Geoff Moore.
All songs written by Chapman, except where noted.
- "Dive" – 3:59
- "Speechless"(Chapman, Geoff Moore) – 5:07
- "The Change"(Chapman, Elliot) – 3:46
- "Great Expectations" – 5:04
- "Next 5 Minutes"(Anders, Chapman) – 4:22
- "Fingerprints of God" – 4:04
- "The Invitation"(Chapman, Moore) – 4:57
- "Whatever" – 4:02
- "I Do Believe" – 4:03
- "What I Really Want to Say" – 4:23
- "With Hope" – 5:13
- "The Journey"(Chapman, Redford) – 3:06
- "Be Still and Know" – 3:19
- Chapman dedicated the song "Fingerprints of God" to his daughter Emily who, at the time had turned 13.
- The song "With Hope" was written for a family, the Mullicans (friends of the Chapmans), who lost a child. It was later sung in honor of the victims of the Heath High School shooting. The school where the shooting occurred in Paducah, Kentucky was Chapman's alma mater.
- The song "What I Really Want to Say" is dedicated to Chapman's wife, Mary Beth.
- Steven Curtis Chapman - electric and acoustic guitar, dobro, track arrangement, mandolin, "Papoose" guitar
- Randy Pearce - electric guitar
- Adam Anders - bass, programming, track arrangement
- Will Denton - drums and drum loops
- Shane Keister - piano
- Hardy Hemphill - piano on "With Hope"
- Scott Sheriff - B-3 organ on "Fingerprints of God"
- Eric Darken - percussion
- The London Session Orchestra - orchestra
- Gavyn Wright - concertmaster
- J.A.C. Redford - orchestral arrangement
- Carl Marsh - orchestral arrangement on "What I Really Want to Say"
Recording and Producing
- Brown Bannister and Steven Curtis Chapman - Producers
- Peter York and Dan Raines - Executive Producers
- Traci Sterling Bishir - Production Manager
- Bill Baumgart - A&R Coordinator
- Recorded and Mixed by Steve Bishir at Sound Kitchen (Franklin, Tennessee)
- Assisted by Hank Nirider, Jedd Hackett and Melissa Mattoy
- Hank Nirider - Mix Assistant
- Aaron Swihart, Hank Nirider, Shane Wilson, Gary Paczosa, jb, Patrick Kelly - Additional Engineering
- Orchestra Recorded by Mark Tucker at Abbey Road Studio (London)
- Assisted by Andrew Dudman
- Mastered by Ted Jensen at Sterling Sound (New York)