Jazz Jackrabbit Advance
is a platform game
developed by Game Titan
. It was released in 2002
for the Game Boy Advance
, published by Jaleco
under license from Epic Games
. It was marketed simply as Jazz Jackrabbit
, but actually being a sequel and not a port, remake or retelling of the first game. It is the third full game in the Jazz Jackrabbit
series, and was controversial among fans.
The game has 24 singleplayer levels and 11 multiplayer levels. Only one copy of the game cartridge is required for a multiplayer game.
Spaz Jackrabbit, Jazz's brother, makes a few cameo appearances in this game. Unlike in Jazz Jackrabbit 2, he is not playable.
The game had several changes performed in overall design respect to previous games in the series, oriented to cosmic fantasy inspired by Star Wars
. Some of these changes include:
- Jazz has become similar to Han Solo, his old look having been completely dropped.
- Jazz is no longer a free agent, but is working for an agency called R.A.B.T.
- The game pits Jazz against Dark Shell, who actually is Devan Shell, the nemesis from the previous installments, having been redesigned to look like Darth Vader.
- Jazz is determined to win the affections of a new female character called Zoe Cottontail. The fate of Eva Earlong, who Jazz seduced at the end of the first game and married at the end of the second, was left unexplained in the game. In an interview with one of the game's creators it was explained Eva and Jazz divorced during the start of a galactic conquest (when and by whom is unknown).
In an interview with Game Titan's Eric Kinkhead, the community's cold reception of the game was partially blamed for the possible end of the Jazz Jackrabbit franchise.
Although the turtle army (looking like storm troopers) is very minor, some new enemies were featured::
- Chameleons - a race of giant chameleons that carry warhammers and plasma guns. They seem to be very unintelligent and lazy. They are ruled by their king who is a morbidly obese Jackson's chameleon that carries a club and loves rabbits for dinner.
- Saurions - an army of alien tyranosaurs that only cause havoc if they get paid by anyone. The soldiers include gunners, small crazed cild soldiers, morter soldiers, and the general who dwarfs his army & the rabbits of carrotopolus. The general also carries a large gun that shoots rockets, flames and bullets. They seem to keep large red one-eyed slugs to destroy sewer systems.
- Turtle Army -They appear in only two planets, they are dressed in stormtrooper uniforms. They come in green, blue and gold, all carry machine guns.
- Abominable Snow Turtle - a large turtle/yeti hybrid creature that steals Jazz's ship. It is vulnerable only to fire.
- Mechturtles - robotic turtles that shoot flames, bullets and rockets, they are slow and hard to destroy. One particular mechturtle is gigantic and bipedal, and wields many weapons such as flamethrower, machine gun, rocket launcher, and a large plasma gun in its chest.
- Dark Shell - the villain of the game, he is actually Devan Shell, now portraying an outfit which parodies Darth Vader. He carries a machine gun with a grenade launcher built in it.