is a small town in northeastern Hesse, Germany.
Spangenberg lies in the Schwalm-Eder district some 35 km southeast of Kassel
, west of the Stölzinger Gebirge, a low mountain range.
The town of Spangenberg had its first documentary mention in 1261, at about the time when the Treffurt family ruled Spangenberg.
The town is known best of all for its Schloss Spangenberg, a castle built in 1253 and the town's landmark. Also worth seeing are the half-timbered buildings in the Old Town and the remains of the town's old wall, several of whose towers are still standing.
Coat of arms
Spangenberg's civic coat of arms
is based on the town's oldest known seal from 1317. The object on the right (heraldically speaking, left) side is a kind of fossilized
plant locally known as a Spange
for "brooch" or "clip"), the town's namesake. The current colours – red and gold – have been in use since 1621.
In alphabetical order, these are Bergheim, Bischofferode, Elbersdorf, Herlefeld, Kaltenbach, Landefeld, Metzebach, Mörshausen, Nausis, Pfieffe, Schnellrode, Vockerode-Dinkelberg and Weidelbach.
Spangenberg maintains partnerships with the following places: