The CNR Spadina Roundhouse
was owned by the Canadian National Railway
, built in 1928 (by Anglin-Norcross of Montreal). The purpose of Spadina Roundhouse, was to pre-trip inspection, service and repair the motive power
of passenger trains
, including locomotives
and Budd Rail Diesel Cars
terminating, or originating at Toronto Union Station
Spadina Roundhouse was located in the rail yard, south of Front Street, on the east side of Spadina Avenue. Other facilities included a wheel shop, passenger car repair track and paint shop. A coach yard was located west of Spadina Avenue.
Toronto's Canadian Pacific Railway, John Street Roundhouse, now the home of the Steam Whistle brewery along with Spadina Roundhouse were two of hundreds of roundhouses in North America in the 1930s.
The Spadina Roundhouse was demolished in 1986, and the Toronto SkyDome presently known as the Rogers Centre has been built in its place.