South Sioux City
is a city in Dakota County
, in the United States
. It is part of the Sioux City
/South Dakota Metropolitan Statistical Area
. As of the 2000 census
, the city population was 11,925.
South Sioux City is located immediately across the Missouri River from Sioux City, Iowa, and is part of the Sioux City metropolitan area.
and William Clark
passed through the South Sioux City area in 1804
South Sioux City is located at (42.471095, -96.414732).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 5.2 square miles (13.5 km²), of which, 4.9 square miles (12.7 km²) of it is land and 0.3 square miles (0.8 km²) of it (5.77%) is water.
In contrast to its hilly larger neighbor, South Sioux City is extremely flat. The difference in elevation across most of the city is less than 10 feet, generally ranging between 1,093 and 1,103 feet above sea level.
Several highways serve South Sioux City:
- Interstate 129 is a short east-west spur beginning at Interstate 29 in Sioux City. It enters South Sioux City via a bridge over the Missouri River, and crosses the southern end of South Sioux City with interchanges at Dakota Avenue (the city's main street) and U.S. Highway 77. Interstate 129 is multiplexed with U.S. Highway 20 and U.S. Highway 75.
- U.S. Highway 77 is a north-south highway whose northern terminus is at Interstate 29 in Sioux City. From there, it enters South Sioux City via the Veterans Memorial Bridge, follows Dakota Avenue to 9th Street, then arcs west and south as a four-lane bypass around the city. In 1989, a large strip mall anchored by Wal-Mart and Hy-Vee opened along the bypass and effectively shifted the city's primary retail district from Dakota Avenue, in the center of town, to the western edge of the city.
Local bus service to South Sioux City is provided by the Sioux City Transit System.
The nearest commercial airport is Sioux Gateway Airport/Colonel Bud Day Field
(SUX) in Sioux City. A smaller general-aviation airport, Martin Field
(7K8), is located just west of South Sioux City along U.S. Highway 20
As of the census
of 2000, there were 11,925 people, 4,304 households, and 2,961 families residing in the city.Of the 11,925 people, 48.6% are male and 51.4% are female.The population density
was 2,431.6 people per square mile (939.6/km²). There were 4,557 housing units at an average density of 929.2/sq mi (359.1/km²). The racial makeup of the city was 75.88% White
, 0.86% African American
, 2.36% Native American
, 3.19% Asian
, 0.09% Pacific Islander
, 14.57% from other races
, and 3.05% from two or more races. Hispanic
of any race were 24.81% of the population.
There were 4,304 households out of which 38.9% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 49.7% were married couples living together, 13.7% had a female householder with no husband present, and 31.2% were non-families. 25.6% of all households were made up of individuals and 10.3% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.72 and the average family size was 3.26.
In the city the population was spread out with 29.8% under the age of 18, 11.1% from 18 to 24, 29.6% from 25 to 44, 19.2% from 45 to 64, and 10.4% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 31 years. For every 100 females there were 94.6 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 92.0 males.
The median income for a household in the city was $36,493, and the median income for a family was $42,712. Males had a median income of $27,259 versus $21,709 for females. The per capita income for the city was $16,165. About 10.1% of families and 11.5% of the population were below the poverty line, including 14.9% of those under age 18 and 8.3% of those age 65 or over.
For population 25 years and over in South Sioux City
- High school or higher: 72.7%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 12.7%
- Graduate or professional degree: 4.8%
- Unemployed: 4.1%
- Mean travel time to work: 15.3 minutes
According to research there were 36 registered sex offenders living in South Sioux City in early 2007.
The ratio of number of residents in South Sioux City to the number of sex offenders is 333 to 1.