St. James Episcopal Church, also known as the Red Church, is an historic church building located at 42 Snell Street, in Sonora, California. Built in 1859 in the Carpenter Gothic style, its board and batten exterior walls are of California redwood and are painted red. It was consecrated in 1870 by the Rt, Rev. William Ingraham Kip, first bishop of the Episcopal Diocese of California. Reportedly the seventh Episcopal parish as well as the oldest Episcopal church building in California, it has been designated California Historical Landmark No. 139.
Today St. James, while no longer a part of the Episcopal Church in the United States, is still an active parish called St. James Anglican Church and is part of the Anglican Diocese of San Joaquin. Its current rector is The Rev. Fr. Wofgang E. Krismanits and the deacon is the Rev. Mary G. Swann.