is a small hamlet in South Northumberland
, approximately four miles from Consett
The name is thought to have derived from "snow's edge", referring to the hamlet's close proximity (about three miles) from the North Pennines
Description and History
The hamlet consists of a Church dedicated to St John, a church-hall, a football field, Vicarage and three houses. The church-hall was formerly a school, and won the Northumberland Community Council "Best Village Hall" award three times.
The majority of the buildings date from the 19th Century, and the church from 1835 when centre of the anglican parish of Shotley Low Quarter was moved from St Andrew's chapel on Kiln Pit Hill to the new site The parish itself, now known as Shotley St John, is within the deanery of Corbridge in the Diocese of Newcastle.
Snods Edge hosts a number of events each year for the parish, including an art exhibition and a garlic festival The art exhibition is mainly for local artists to display their paintings.
There was also once a weekend-long camping event on the sports field during the Easter holidy for the children of the Parish, but this has been since been stopped because of waning numbers over the years.
Snods Edge lies at the southern edge of Tynedale district council, within Northumberland County Council.