The village has The Church of St. Michael which because of its very wide nave is sometimes known as "The Barn of Kent".
Smarden borders the villages of Pluckley and Egerton to the North, Bethersden to the West, Headcorn to the East and Biddenden to the South.
Smarden has a thriving village 'Post Office and Stores', Butcher's shop, an Art Gallery and three Public houses; The Flying Horse, The Bell and The Chequers.
Smarden became very prosperous and some fine houses were built in the 15th and 16th centuries, many of which remain today. The Cloth Hall (1430) is an example of a fifteenth century yeoman's timber hall house. Although built as a farm it became the central clearing warehouse for the local cloth industry; the broad-cloth would have been taken from there to the port of Faversham.
During the Second World War, houses in Smarden, such as Gilletts, were used to relocate evacuees from London in.
Insurance Bosses Convicted of Fraud; Ex-Independent Chief Michael Bright Could Lose Everything Including His Home in Smarden, Kent
Oct 24, 2007; Byline: Karl West THREE former Independent Insurance executives were found guiltyyesterday for trying to cover up a [pounds...