is a town in the Western District
. The town is situated on the Glenelg Highway
166 kilometres west of the state capital, Melbourne
and 52 kilometres south west of the regional centre, Ballarat
. Part of Corangamite Shire Local government area
, Skipton is on the banks of Mt Emu Creek
and at the 2006 census
had a population of 482. Skipton is named after Skipton
, in Yorkshire
and is known as "the home of the platypus
Skipton was first established in 1839 as a pastoral run and a town site was surveyed in 1852. The town was settled some years later and the Post Office opened on 6 march 1858.
The town held the first agricultural show in the Western District in 1859.
Fine wool is the main agricultural product of the Skipton area. A rail trail allows cyclists to ride between Skipton and Ballarat.