Skedsmo was established as a municipality January 1, 1838 (see formannskapsdistrikt). Lørenskog and Lillestrøm was separated from Skedsmo as municipalities of their own January 1, 1908. Lillestrøm was, however, again merged with Skedsmo January 1, 1962.
The centre of Skedsmo is Lillestrøm which has status as a city and about 1/3 of the population of Skedsmo. Other important towns are Skedsmokorset, Skjetten and Strømmen. A smaller settlement adjoining Lillestrøm is Kjeller.
In this area, the tribe of Raumas fought against King Olav Haraldsson, patron saint of Norway, in 1028. The area has become an important part of Norway's industrial history. Strømmen Verksted built the country's first trains, at Kjeller airplanes were constructed up to World War II, the sawmills at Lillestrøm processed lumber from the great forests, and a number of other entreprises have been important.
The local newspaper is Romerikes Blad (circulation 39,139 in 2004). The paper comes out daily.
(See also the coat-of-arms of Ski.)