, which means "a small rock" in Polish
, is a small hillock in Kraków
where the Bishop of Krakow saint Stanislaus of Szczepanów
was slain by order of Polish king Bolesław II the Bold
. This action resulted in the king's exile and the eventual canonization
of the slain bishop.
Originally, a Romanesque church was built there. King Casimir III raised a new gothic church in its place and since 1472 this shrine has been in the possession of a cloister of Pauline Fathers. In 1733-1751 the church received a baroque decor. It is one of the most famous Polish sanctuaries.
The crypt underneath the church serves as a "national Panthéon", a burial place for some of the most distinguished Poles, particularly those who lived in Kraków.
- Jan Długosz (1415-1480), bishop, diplomat and historian
- Wincenty Pol (1807-1872), poet, geographer and freedom fighter
- Lucjan Siemieński (1809-1877), poet, writer and freedom fighter
- Józef Ignacy Kraszewski (1812-1887), writer and historian
- Teofil Lenartowicz (1822-1893), poet and sculptor
- Adam Asnyk (1838-1897), poet, playwright and freedom fighter
- Henryk Siemiradzki (1843-1902), painter
- Stanisław Wyspiański (1869-1907) poet, playwright and painter
- Jacek Malczewski (1854-1929), painter
- Karol Szymanowski (1882-1937), composer and pianist
- Ludwik Solski (1855-1954), theatre actor and director
- Tadeusz Banachiewicz (1882-1954), astronomer and mathematician
- Czesław Miłosz (1911-2004), poet and essayist, Nobel Prize recipient
- There is no woman buried among the distinguished Poles
- Currently (2007) there is room for two or three more tombs in the crypt
- Długosz, Siemieński, Pol and Banachiewicz were originally buried elsewhere