Faculty of Medicine Siriraj Hospital, Mahidol University is the oldest, largest hospital and medical school in Thailand. The hospital was founded by King Chulalongkorn in 1888, two years after a worldwide cholera outbreak. It is named after the king's 18-month old son, Prince Siriraj Kakuttaphan, who had died from dysentery a year before the opening of the hospital. The medical school was established two years later in 1890. It is now the Faculty of Medicine of Mahidol University.
Under the patronage of Prince Mahidol Adulyadej and support from the Rockefeller Foundation, Siriraj became one of the most advanced medical services and research centers in Thailand and Southeast Asia.
The hospital is located in on the west bank of Chao Phraya River, opposite Thammasat University's Tha Phrachan campus. With the capacity of more than 3,000 beds and more than one million outpatient visits per year, Siriraj is one of the largest, most-congested medical centers in Thailand. The medical school accepts about 250 medical students and more than 100 for postgraduate residency training each year.
The logo of the Siriraj Hospital and Medical School is the Naga curled into a shape of "ศ" (pronounce as "Sor-Sala"), the first Thai alphabet of the hospital name with the Prakeaw on top of the Naga.
Other exhibitions are devoted to Thai traditional medicine, anatomy, prehistoric artifacts, rare diseases and parasitic organisms. For more information visit the museums website
Researchers from Faculty of Medicine Siriraj Hospital, Division of Radiation Oncology detail new studies and findings in the area of oncology.
Mar 03, 2008; Data detailed in 'l-[METHYL-(11)C] methionine positron emission tomography for target delineation in malignant gliomas: impact on...