Sint-Michielsgestel is a municipality and a town in the southern part of the Netherlands. Sint-Michielsgestel is located directly south of 's-Hertogenbosch, the capital of North Brabant province. Its name refers to archangel St. Michael.
Besselaar, Doornhoek, Haanwijk, Hal, Halder, De Bus, De Hogert, De Loofaart, Heikantse Hoeve, Hersend, Hezelaar, Hoek, Kerkeind, Laar, Maaskantje, Middelrode, Nijvelaar, Plein, Poeldonk, Ruimel, Tielse Hoeve, Wielsche Hoeven, Wamberg and Woud.
Major employer in the town of Sint-Michielsgestel is viataal , a resource center for sensory and communicative disabled people formerly known as Institute for the deaf and hearing impaired called Instituut voor Doven .
Most inhabitants are commuters as there is little to none industry in town.
The river Dommel , which flows from a well in Belgium to the river Maas in The Netherlands, divides the town in two parts.
The present municipality Sint-Michielsgestel was founded in 1996, by merging Sint-Michielsgestel (est. 1314), Den Dungen (est. 1810) and Berlicum (est. 1238).
The complete village of Gemonde, which till then partly belonged to Boxtel, was added to Sint-Michielsgestel too.
The kleinseminarie Beekvliet was founded in 1815 in the town of Sint-Michielsgestel. During World War II this facility was used as prison-camp, along with the grootseminarie in Haaren. On 4 May 1942 the Germans imprisoned 460 Dutch men in Beekvliet.
All prisoners were politically involved or otherwise important to the Dutch people. Amongst them were writers Simon Vestdijk and Anton van Duinkerken. Political prisoners were Wim Schermerhorn (Prime Minister 1945-1946), Willem Banning, Pieter Geyl and Jan Eduard de Quay, all post-war politicians.
Currently the Gymnasium Beekvliet is a renowned College (Dutch:zelfstandig gymnasium) with over 800 students.