The district of Sibi was established in 1903 during British Rule its area was larger than the current district and lay between 27°55' and 30°38'N and 67°17' and 69°50'E lying south of Loralai District, north of the Upper Sind Frontier District, west of Dera Ghazi Khan District and east of Kachhi, Bolan Pass and Quetta- Pishin. The total area of the district was 11,281 square miles, but this included Marri Bugti county (7,129 square miles) which not directly administered by the British, leaving 4,152 square miles that were directly administered by the British The population according to the 1901 census of India was 74,555 or 18 persons per square mile, the district contained four tehsils these were:
|Tahsil||Area (sq mi)||Population|
1n 1974 the district was subdivided to create Naseerabad and Kohlu districts, in 1983 Dera Bugti District, and in 1986 Ziarat District. Until 2000, except for Naseerabad, these new districts were part of Sibi Division of Pakistan. In 2000 the third-tier "divisions" structure of government was dissolved.
In 1901 the total population was 34,974. 90% of the population were Muslims and 10% were Hindus. The major tribes of Sibi are Marri, Bugti, Barozai, Khajjak, Jamot. Today over 99% of its inhabitants are Muslims.