Shuya (Шу́я) is the third largest town in Ivanovo Oblast, Russia, situated on the Teza River. Population: 62,449 (2002 Census).
The first record of Shuya is dated by 1393. Since 1403, the area was held by a branch of the House of Suzdal
, which got their name "Shuisky
" after the town. In 1539, the town was sacked by Safagäräy
. In 1566, it was taken by Ivan the Terrible
as his personal property into Oprichnina
. In 1722, the town was visited by Peter the Great
, who launched textile manufacturing there. By the 19th century, Shuya was developed into a major flax
-processing centre, although it has been since superseded in importance by neighbouring village of Ivanovo
Nikolo-Shartomsky Abbey, situated twelve kilometres from Shuya, has one of the largest monastic communities in Russia. The cloister was first mentioned in 1425. It has a cathedral from 1652 and a refectory from 1678. The belltower of the Resurrection Cathedral, is the highest freestanding bell tower in the world.