Sherington Primary School
Sherington Primary School is located in Charlton, South East London. The school is two form entry Primary school with over 400 pupils.
Sherington originally opened in 1907, as a temporary school for boys, with the main school opening in 1922 as a mixed infants and elementary school catering for children up to the age of 14. After the Second World War, the lower buildings became separate secondary schools for girls and boys, while the top building (now the main school) housed the junior department.
In 1971, following the opening of nearby secondary schools, Sherington became a junior mixed school and was at one time the largest junior school in London with nearly 700 pupils. In 1995, following a review of school provision in the Charlton area, Sherington started its transition into a full primary school opening its doors to infant and nursery children for the first time.
The school continues to change and develop, with a focus on raising educational standards and building strong community links. Our nursery still occupies the lower building, which is shared by the after school play-club and a thriving breakfast club, while the remainder of the school occupies the re-furbished upper building.
The Lower building also houses the Greenwich Music Service and in 2003 there are plans to further develop the use of this building in conjunction with the Charlton 'Sure Start' project.
The Sherington logo is based on the "bell" tower which can still be seen on the Lower building. There was also one on the roof of the Middle building. When this building was demolished, the tower was found to be part of a ventilation system
The Eastcombe Estate was offered for sale in 1883 and the house was demolished in the early part of the 20th century. Highcombe House, the adjoining property, can still be seen today next to Our Lady of Grace school and church on Charlton Road.
Existing roads were few, limited in this case to Charlton Road, Victoria Way, Delafield Road and Wellington Gardens. The proposed road towards the top of the map became Eastcombe Avenue. Also to be seen on the map is the railway line.
Eastcombe Information Permission from Greenwich Local History Library.