Opened on March 24 1891, it had two side platforms on a loop, the main platform located on the east side of the line. The station was closed with the rest of the Outer Circle on April 12 1893, was reopened on May 14 1900, as part of the Deepdene Dasher shuttle, until final closure on October 9, 1927, along with the passenger service though it, but goods trains passed though until 1943.
A junction existed to the south of the station, with the main line going to Riversdale and the loop line towards Canterbury station on the Lilydale line. This connection was only open from March 15, 1892, until April 12, 1893. An 18-lever frame was provided at the Lilydale line connection, later reduced to 16 levers. In 1911 a spoil siding existed to the north, halfway to Roystead station. Earth filling from the cutting between Canterbury and Mont Albert Roads was used to regrade the Lilydale line. The main line points faced Shenley.