Schenk's Mill Covered Bridge
or Shenk's Mill Covered Bridge
is a covered bridge
that spans the Big Chiques Creek
in Lancaster County
, United States
. A county-owned and maintained bridge, its official designation is the Big Chickies #4 Bridge
. (Chiques Creek
was known as Chickies Creek
The bridge has a single span, wooden, double Burr arch trusses design with the addition of steel hanger rods. The deck is made from oak planks. It is painted red, the traditional color of Lancaster County covered bridges, on both the inside and outside. Both approaches to the bridge are painted in the traditional white color. It is one of only 3 covered bridges in the county with horizontal side boards.
The bridge's WGCB Number is 38-36-30. Added in 1980, it is listed on the National Register of Historic Places as structure number 80003531. It is located at (40.1160, -76.4253).
The bridge was built in 1855
by Charles Malhorn and Levi Fink.
- Length: 80 feet (24.4 m) span and 96 feet (29.3 m) total length
- Width: 13 feet 10 inches (4.2 m) clear deck and 15 feet (4.6 m) total width
- Overhead clearance: 12 feet (3.7 m)
- Underclearance: 10 feet 6 inches (3.2 m)