The Shadowserver Foundation
is an all volunteer watchdog group of security professionals that gather, track, and report on malware
activity, and electronic fraud.
It is the mission of the Shadowserver Foundation to improve the security of the Internet by raising awareness of the presence of compromised servers, malicious attackers, and the spread of malware.
They achieve their goals via the following process:
The primary responsibilities of The Shadowserver Foundation include:
- Capturing and receiving malicious software, or information related to compromised devices
- Disassembling, sandboxing, and analyzing viruses and trojans
- Monitoring and reporting on malicious attackers
- Tracking and reporting on botnet activities
- Disseminating cyber threat information
- Coordinating incident response
The Shadowserver Foundation works alongside other security organizations and agencies to develop strategies against the threats and to form action plans to help mitigate the threats as they develop.
The Shadowserver Foundation is not:
- A vigilante group
- A "hack the hackers" group
- A commercial, "for-profit" organization