The original Native American name of Sentinel Dome was "Sakkaduch". The Bunnell survey named it "South Dome", but the Whitney survey renamed it Sentinel Dome (from its likeness to a watch-tower). The view from the top offers a 360 degree view of Yosemite Valley and surroundings. One can see Half Dome, El Capitan, Yosemite Falls, North Dome, Basket Dome, and much more.
Sentinel Dome is known for a Jeffrey Pine that grew from its peak (see photograph, left). The pine was photographed as early as 1867 by Carleton Watkins. The tree died during the drought in 1976. The dead tree remained standing until August, 2003.
The hike is a relatively easy roundtrip hike leading to the base of Sentinel Dome. The trailhead, the same as the Taft Point trailhead, is located from Bridalveil Creek on the Glacier Point road. Once at the base, hikers will traverse the less imposing north east granite slope, until they make it to the top.