Semington is a medium-sized village in West Wiltshire, England. It features 2 locks on the Kennet and Avon Canal, and is the start of the disused Wilts and Berks Canal. Its 2001 population was 830, and it is located 3 miles (5 km) from Melksham and 4 miles (7 km) from Trowbridge.

Semington civil parish includes the hamlets of Littlemarsh and Littleton.


Within the village there are around 500 houses, a primary school, a village hall, public tennis courts and a park for children. For the school's most recent Ofsted report, click on St George's The village has its own website where some detail of events in the village can be found – although these are not always up to date. Minutes of parish council meetings are eventually displayed here, and there is a rumour that the PC itself will soon embrace the digital age.

Littlemarsh is located to the south of Semington, along the old course of A350 road. Littleton isn't populated anymore, and the only area currently designated as belonging to Littleton is the roundabout at the A350 and A361 road crossing.



The Kennet and Avon Canal crosses marshy ground on an embankment on the northern edge of the village.

The two Semington locks were built between 1718 and 1723 under the supervision of the engineer John Hore of Newbury and Quager of Hilperton and this stretch of the canal is now administered by British Waterways. They have a combined rise/fall of 16 ft 1 in (4.9 m). The two locks at Semington are known as Buckley's (numbered 15) and Barrett's (16).

Adjacent to the locks is the point at which the disused Wilts and Berks Canal joined the Kennet and Avon, and a group of determined enthusiasts are bent on restoring this canal to its former glory. East of the locks, the canal travels across the 2004 Semington Aqueduct, built to allow the A350 road to bypass Semington village. Another aqueduct carries the canal over Semington Brook.

The canal, towpath and adjacent hedges are good for wildlife and there have been recent sightings (August 2007) of watervoles (arvicola terrestris).

World War II

During the Second World War, Semington lay on GHQ Line which followed the path of the canal. Semington was designated as a centre of resistance: extensive anti-tank ditches were constructed to the east, south, and west of the village, these were overlooked by a number of pillboxes. The defences were constructed as a part of British anti-invasion preparations.


The village has the small mediæval St George's church, which is a grade II listed building. with a garden fête held every summer in the gardens of the manor house.


Semington has a pub, the Somerset Arms, which is popular with canal travellers, and a number of other small businesses. 1 km to the north of the village lies the ever-expanding Hampton Park West business park, which houses the large corporate headquarters of companies such as G-Plan, Avon Rubber plc and a large Wiltshire Police operations centre.

Notable residents

See also



General references


External links




Search another word or see Semingtonon Dictionary | Thesaurus |Spanish
Copyright © 2015, LLC. All rights reserved.
  • Please Login or Sign Up to use the Recent Searches feature