It is located in Seletar in the north-eastern area of the main island, and is operated by the Civil Aviation Authority of Singapore. There has been a proposal to extend its runway to 2,000 metres, so as to be able to receive the Boeing 737 used by many budget airlines. However, after considerations by the Singapore Government and the CAAS, they decided to build a Budget Terminal in Singapore Changi Airport instead.
Plans for establishing an airfield, flying boat and naval base in Singapore were first agreed by the RAF in 1921. In 1923 two sites in the northern region of the island were approved. The first planes to arrive at the base were four Supermarine Southampton seaplanes on the 28th of February 1928.
When the Japanese launched their invasion of Malaya and Singapore, Seletar housed the RAF’s 205 Sqn with PBY Catalina Flying boats and 36 and 100 Sqns with obsolete Vickers Vildebeest torpedo bombers, along with 151 Maintenance Unit. These units stayed until Jan-Feb 1942, soon before the surrender to the invading Japanese.
During the Japanese occupation Seletar (like Sembawang) was under the Imperial Japanese Navy Air Service, and a number of IJN squadrons were based or transited through Seletar mainly, for training (the Imperial Japanese Army Air Force took over RAF Tengah). Among the units known to be based at Seletar during this time were 936 Kokutai (B5N Kate, D3A Val and E13A1 Jake), 381 Kokutai (A6M Zero and J2M Raiden). The 601 Kokutai was also stationed there for training in early before its destruction on board Japanese aircraft carriers during the Battle of Philippine Sea (Marianas Turkey Shoot) in June. Seletar’s present runway was built during the Japanese Occupation.
During the 1960s RAF Seletar was home base to No's 103 and 110 Squadrons both of which were equipped with Westland Whirlwind Mk 10 helicopters and to 34 Squadron which was equipped with Blackburn Beverleys. All three Squadrons (among several others) were involved with support of operations in North Borneo during the Indonesia-Malaysia confrontation. The helicopter squadrons provided a search and rescue service for the Singapore area. The station was also at that time home to 209 Squadron, equipped with Single and Twin Pioneer aircraft. In December 1966 three Andover CC Mk1 arrived to replace the ageing Twin Pioneers. 52 squadron was later reformed in March 1967 after the arrival of a further three aircraft. By now Confrontation had finished and with no purpose the Squadron moved to Changi in 1968 before being disbanded in January 1970.
Among Seletar’s claim to fame was the fact that several classic aircraft type flew their last RAF Operational sorties from there including the Short Singapore flying boat (Mk.III K6912 of No. 205 Squadron RAF 14 October 1941, aircraft transferred to No. 5 Squadron RNZAF), Supermarine Spitfire (PR.XIX PS888 of 81 Sqn 1954) De Havilland Mosquito (PR.34 RG314 of 81 Sqn 1955), Short Sunderland flying boat (ML797 205 Sqn 15 May 1959) and Bristol Beaufighter (TT.X RD761 Station Flight 1960).
In 1998, Seletar Airport received 7,945 scheduled flights altogether, handling 23,919 passengers and 6,025 tons of cargo.
The Republic of Singapore Flying Club, Seletar Flying Club and Singapore Flying College are situated at Seletar Airport. The Singapore Flying College also conducts its flying training at Jandakot Airport in Perth, Western Australia and at Sunshine Coast Airport in Maroochydore, Queensland.
Another prominent flying school is the Singapore Youth Flying Club which has its headquarters built on western side of the airport's runway. Completed in June 2001, the clubhouse also has its own parking bays for its fleet of Piper Warrior II and CT-4E.
In 2007, JTC Corporation announced the plan to upgrade the Seletar Airport to support the upcoming Seletar Aerospace Park. The plan includes the lengthening of the airport's runway from its current length to 1,800 metres and the upgrading of its avionics systems to allow bigger aircraft to land and take off.
Food is available from a canteen, opposite West Camp Road.