, also known as Pasadena Waldorf School
, is a National Register of Historic Places
structure (site #99000893) in Altadena, California
. The home was built by William Armiger Scripps, the son of James Moggs Scripps. William's father was a prominent bookbinder in England and came to America in 1844 with six motherless children. Scripps grew up on a Rushville, Illinois
farm, where his father remarried. William moved to Detroit, Michigan
, where he and his brother George opened a print shop. His other siblings and half-siblings owned and operated newspapers around the country (see E. W. Scripps Company
). The print shop was destroyed by fire, and William moved to California and lived off the family business interests. He spent some time with his siblings in La Jolla, California
, before moving to Altadena in 1904.. He lived in a small bungalow on his property near the intersection of Mariposa Street and Fair Oaks Avenue
while his three-story mansion was built. Scripps planted citrus and olives on the property. His sister was Ellen Browning Scripps
, who would become a prominent philanthropist founding the Scripps Research Institute
, Scripps Institution of Oceanography
, and Scripps College
. William also became involved in community affairs and founded Scripps Home in Altadena for the elderly. After William died Scripps Hall was subsequently passed to his grandson. The western portion of the property was subdivided. In 1979 the home was sold to the Pasadena Waldorf School, one of many Waldorf schools
around the world.
The house is a three story Craftsman bungalow designed by architect Charles W. Buchanan. It was placed on the Register in 1999 for its significance as a settlement site.