Schwäbisch Hall or Hall, city (1994 pop. 33,892), Baden-Württemberg, S Germany, on the Kocher River. It is a rail junction and has manufactures in building materials, textiles, and electrical goods. The city is also a popular tourist center and, because of its saline baths, a health resort. Chartered in the 12th cent., Schwäbisch Hall was a free imperial city until 1803 and ruled considerable surrounding territory. Noteworthy buildings include the baroque city hall (1728-35) and St. Michael's Church (15th cent.). Nearby is Comburg, a former fortified Benedictine abbey (founded 1075; now a teachers college).
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia Copyright © 2004.
Licensed from Columbia University Press