was a candy and chocolate company based in Sullivan Square
, Charlestown, Massachusetts
. The famous Schrafft's neon sign is a significant landmark in Boston, although the former factory it sits above, constructed in 1928, is now redeveloped for business accommodation.
Afterwards, Schrafft's expanded to form a restaurant chain.
Schrafft's sponsored the 1959 CBS telecast of The Wizard of Oz , the first of the film's annual telecasts (it had been shown once on television in 1956).
Schrafft's was founded by William F. Schrafft in 1861 and developed by Frank Shattuck in Boston in 1898. By 1915, they had nine stores in Manhattan, one in Brooklyn, and one in Syracuse, NY as well as the facility in Boston. They had grown to 22 stores in 1923, 42 stores in 1934, and 55 stores in 1968. Ownership of the company changed hands several times thereafter until 1984, when all company operations were closed.