A school website
is any website
built, designed, and maintained by or for a school
. Many school websites share certain characteristics, and some educators have developed guidelines to help schools create the best and most useful websites they can.
Possible functions of a school website include:
- Displaying student projects
- Providing information on homework and current class assignments
- Directing visitors to other resources on the web
- Providing a forum for teachers, administrators, students, and parents to exchange information such as news and calendars of events
- Introducing people who don't know much about the school (such as parent or students who are considering moving into the district, community members who don't have children, and teachers seeking employment) to its current events and general culture
Creation and maintenance
There are various ways in which a school can approach the task of creating a website. Because they are educational institutions, the creation of portions of the website can be incorporated into the curriculum
- CMS (or content management system) — Schools may purchase or create software to organize and display their information on the web. This software typically gives every administrator and teacher the ability to post on the school's site, using their own username and password. School sites of this kind tend to be the largest.
- Technology or computer science students — Schools which have technology or computer science courses may put their top-level students in charge of their website. In this case, students create the look and feel of the website, as well as adding content to it, either as homework assignments or as part of an in-class project.
- Webmaster — Some schools ask a faculty or staff member who is particularly technologically savvy, or who works in their computer science department, to design and update their websites for them. While some technology coordinators do an excellent job of this, maintaining a school website is generally thought of as a rather large task for just one person.
- Dostal, J. – Machackova, P. School web (Skolni web). In Trendy ve vzdelavani. Olomouc, EU: Votobia, 2006. s. 210 - 214. ISBN 80-7220-260-X.