Crow Village is located in the Bethel Census Area on the north bank of the Kuskokwim River 6.5 river miles (10.5 km) west of Aniak, just downstream from where the Crow Village Slough flows back into the Kuskokwim River. Crow Village is 86 air miles (138 km) northeast of Bethel.
There are indications the Kuskokwim Eskimos (Kuskowagamiut) began migrating inland from the Bering Sea up the Kuskokwim and Yukon Rivers around 500 years ago. The first recorded history of Crow Village was in 1843 by Lt. Lavrenty Zagoskin who was dispatched by the Russian Navy to conduct reconnaissance in the Alaska Interior for potential forts and trading posts. He traveled to the Kuskokwim River traveling by boat to Bristol Bay, then portaging across several rivers and entering the Kuskokwim through the headwaters of the Hoholitna. He described the village at that time as one of the two main villages on the Kuskokwim with a year-round population of approximately 100. This village moved up and down the bank with changes in the river's course and appeared in the 1880 census which was the first census accounting for Alaska population following the Alaska Purchase in 1867. That census was completed by Ivan Petrof and listed Crow Village as Toolooka-anahamute with a population of 59.
Around 1910, Crow Village was moved about 0.5 mile (800 m) downstream due to a change in the river sediment pattern. This settlement was also referred to as New Crow Village. Crow Village Sam (Phillips), a future leader of the area's native people, was a youngster at that time and participated in that move. By the 1950s, Crow Village Sam was firmly entrenched as the area's leader. In 1954 he decided the village had to be vacated to stem ongoing issues with epidemics, possibly from lack of knowledge that the epidemics were likely caused by increased contact with white settlers and not directly related to the village itself. He moved the inhabitants upriver 18 miles (29 km) to Chuathbaluk, a village that had been abandoned since 1929.
The Alaska Native Claims Settlement Act of 1971 resulted in Crow Village Sam receiving ownership of the land encompassing Crow Village. This claim was later inherited by his grandson, David Phillips, who re-settled Crow Village with his family in 1994.
Later David's eldest son, Dakota River Phillips, found the motor of Crow Village Sam's old wind power generator. His other children, Raven Myst Phillips and Storm Hudson Phillips, found other artifacts like an old reindeer bell.