Sawley is a village and civil parish within the Borough of Erewash, in southeast Derbyshire, England. Around 6,500 people live in the parish. with a slightly higher than average number of people over 65.
Every year around the August Bank Holiday, Sawley All Saints holds a flower festival, with themed floral displays inside the church.
Sawley Marina is one of the most prominent features of the village, with access to the regions main waterways
The old name for Sawley was Sallé. Between Sawley and Church Wilne and Great Wilne is the junction of the River Derwent and the Trent. It is to this that Sawley owes it position. The church of All Saints is thirteenth century and contains Saxon and Norman work. and commands a position on a small rise near the river.
Up until the 19th century, Sawley was the most important village in the area, commanding the first river crossing above Nottingham.
Opposite from Sawley churches is Bothe Hall once owned by the Booth family. The Booths were a wealthy landowning family from Cheshire whose principal seat was at Dunham Massey. Bothe Hall was probably built between 1660 and 1680, and has an interior that contains some exposed ceiling beams and a regency staircase.
Other buildings of interest in the area include Sawley Baptist Church, which was built in 1800