is a given name
that has been given to both males and females. It originated in Russia and Eastern Europe as a diminutive
version of the name Alexander
. It is also found as a surname
, although this is very rare. Alternative spellings include: Saša (Serbian, Croatian) and Sascha (German).
This form is especially common in Russia and surrounding countries. Although in Eastern Europe this name is predominantly given to female children. In Germany, for example, the civil registry offices allow the inscription of Sascha in birth certificates only for girls. Conversely, in the United States the name is almost exclusively used for girls, at number 369 in the ranking of U.S. baby names, although it didn't gain popularity until the 1970s.
In the early period of Zionism, the name was common among female Jews in Ottoman- and British-ruled Palestine, reflecting the East European origin of many pioneers. It became less common in 1950s and 1960s Israel, but revived with the new waves of immigration from the Soviet Union in the 1970s and the larger wave in the 1990s.
Notable bearers of this name
- Sasha Artemev, American gymnast
- Sacha Distel, French singer
- Sasha Cherny, Russian poet
- Sacha Dean Biyan, noted American fashion photographer
- Sacha Baron Cohen, British actor and comedian of Ali G and Borat fame
- Sacha Guitry, French actor and playwright
- Sasha, Welsh DJ
- Sasha, the name of John Dorian's scooter in the television sitcom Scrubs
- Sasha, the name of Heavy Weapon Guy's gun in Team Fortress 2.
- Sash!, German DJ
- Sascha Konietzko, German musician, founder/frontman of Industrial band KMFDM
- Sascha Radetsky, American ballet dancer and actor
- Sascha Schmitz, German singer
- Sasha Mitchell, American actor, famous for his role in the TV series Step By Step
- Sasha Sökol, Mexican actress and singer
- Sasha Alexander, American actress
- Sasha Cohen, American Olympic figure skater
- Sasha Montenegro, Mexican actress
- Sasha Vujacic, NBA player (L.A. Lakers) shooting and point guard
- Sasha Pavlovic, NBA player for Cleveland Cavaliers
- Sacha Sacket, Singer-Songwriter from California
- Sasha Kolpakov, Russian musician
- Sasha Kaun, Basketball player
- Sasha Victorine, MLS Footballer for Kansas City Wizards
- Sacha Kljestan, MLS soccer for Chivas USA