The Sapulpa Daily Herald, "Creek County's Only Daily Newspaper," is a six-day (Sunday through Friday) daily newspaper published in Sapulpa, Oklahoma, United States. It is owned by the Sumner family, owner of four other Oklahoma papers.
Founded in September 1914 by John W. Young and O.S. Todd, the Sapulpa Daily Herald later merged with the older Sapulpa Evening Light -- the city's oldest newspaper, founded in 1896 as a weekly, and relaunched as a daily in 1908 -- when the Light's publisher, Oren Miller Irelan, entered a partnership with Young. By the time the two sold the Herald to R.P. Matthews in 1944, it was one of only two newspapers in the city (there had, at one point, been six).
The Matthews family sold to Ed Livermore in 1959; he bought out his only competitor, the weekly County Democrat News, in 1965. Livermore, a Sapulpa resident after whom the University of Oklahoma journalism chair is named, was the last local owner. He sold the Herald to Roy H. Park in 1979; Park sold to Community Newspaper Holdings in 1997. The Herald changed owners again in October 2007, when CNHI sold it and two other papers to the Sumner family.
Jami Mattox - Editor
Judy Lambert - Assistant Editor
Ben Johnson - Sports Editor
Extortion claims aimed at Creek County officials: A Sand Springs businessman wants the District Attorney's Office disqualified from his DUI cases.
Feb 04, 2006; Byline: Louise Red Corn Feb. 4--BRISTOW -- A Sand Springs businessman claims that an assistant district attorney and a former...