San Ramon is a suburb of San Francisco, Oakland, and Silicon Valley. As the location of the former headquarters of the company formerly known as Pacific Bell (later SBC, now AT&T), it is the home of Dilbert (Scott Adams worked there before creating the Dilbert comic strip). It is also home to the headquarters of Chevron Corporation, 24-Hour Fitness, Diablo Valley College San Ramon Valley Center, and two main public high schools:California High School and Dougherty Valley High School.
On April 24, 2001, San Ramon received the title Tree City USA.
San Ramon can be described as lying in a valley, flanked by hills. Its borders (east to west) extend from Norris Canyon in the west to Mt. Diablo in the east.
There were 23,600 households out of which 37.9% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 61.8% were married couples living together, 7.0% had a female householder with no husband present, and 28.3% were non-families. 21.1% of all households were made up of individuals and 3.6% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.63 and the average family size was 3.12.
In the city the population was spread out with 26.3% under the age of 18, 5.8% from 18 to 24, 35.7% from 25 to 44, 26.2% from 45 to 64, and 6.1% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 36 years. For every 100 females there were 97.3 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 94.6 males.
The median income for a household in the city was $95,856, and the median income for a family was $106,321. Males had a median income of $73,502 versus $50,107 for females. The per capita income for the city was $42,336. About 1.4% of families and 2.0% of the population were below the poverty line, including 1.4% of those under age 18 and 4.5% of those age 65 or over.
Until June 30, 2007, police services were provided under contract by the Contra Costa County Sheriff's Department. On July 1, 2007, the city officially took over providing police services. Fire and EMS are provided by the San Ramon Valley Fire Protection District.
The development of Bishop Ranch Business Park in 1982, transformed San Ramon into a significant regional employment center. With the development of major new employment centers, employees are attracted from such far away distances as Sacramento and San Joaquin Counties.
The Bishop Ranch Business Park consists of of land with of office space. The office park currently is home to approximately 200 companies including such Fortune 500 companies as AT&T (formerly SBC), Chevron, Toyota, United Parcel Service and Walsh Wireless. San Ramon is an expanding city and it is expected that over 16,000 jobs will be added within the next 15 years. This represents a 58% increase over the current 27,643 jobs in San Ramon.
San Ramon Creek was named after an Indian vaquero, Ramon, who tended mission sheep here. In an 1855 land title case, Don Amador explained that "San" was added to the creek's name to conform with Spanish custom.
American settlers first came to San Ramon in 1850 when Leo and Mary Jane Norris purchased of land from Amador. Other early landowners were William Lynch, James Dougherty, and Major Samuel Russell. In 1852 Joel and Minerva Harlan bought land from Norris and built a house on what became the Alameda-Contra Costa County line in 1853.
Many of San Ramon's founding families are remembered today because their names grace various canyons, hills and streets. Some of these pioneers were Norris, Lynch, Harlan, McCamley, Crow, Bollinger, Meese, Glass, and Wiedemann. Both the Harlan home (1858) at 19251 San Ramon Valley Blvd. and the Wiedemann home (1865) near Norris Canyon still stand in their original locations. The Glass House (1877) has been moved to Forest Home Farms.
San Ramon had several names in the nineteenth century. It was called Brevensville (for blacksmith Eli Breven), Lynchville (for William Lynch) and Limerick (for the many Irish settlers). The first village developed at the intersection of today's Deerwood Road and San Ramon Valley Blvd. In 1873 when a permanent post office was finally established, it was called San Ramon.
During the 1860s the village became a hub of community activity. In 1864, a stage line established by Brown and Co. ran from San Ramon through the valley to Oakland. A church was dedicated in 1860, the general store was built in 1863 and students left their home-based classrooms to attend the San Ramon Grammar School beginning in 1867. Saloons, a jail, Chinese wash houses and blacksmith shops lined County Road No. 2 (later San Ramon Valley Blvd.)
With the arrival of the San Ramon Branch Line of the Southern Pacific in 1891, other changes took place. The name "San Ramon" permanently replaced references to "Limerick." Crops and passengers could travel in and out of the area, no matter what the weather. Until 1909, San Ramon was the terminus for the line and boasted a two-story depot, the engine house and a turnaround for the locomotive.
In 1895, attorney Thomas Bishop acquired of Norris land (after a divorce case in which Bishop's law firm represented Margaret Norris). The Bishop Ranch raised cattle and sheep and was planted to hay, grain, diversified fruit crops and walnuts. Bishop Shropshire purebred sheep earned numerous awards. The Ranch was partially irrigated from an underground aquifer and at one point possessed the world's largest single orchard of Bartlett pears.
The designation "San Ramon Village" first appeared in the 1970 census with a count of 4,084 people, part of a San Ramon Valley population of 25,899. Developers Ken Volk and Bob McLain built the first San Ramon suburban homes close to the county line. A special district, the Valley Community Services District (VCSD) provided the water, parks, sewer, fire protection and garbage collection for the new homes.
In 1970, Western Electric purchased of the Bishop Ranch and proposed a "new town" complete with a variety of housing, green belts, stores and light industry, placed in the center of San Ramon. Eventually part of the land became new homes and, in 1978, became today's Bishop Ranch Business Park, a premier modern office development.
Before San Ramon incorporated, homeowners groups such as the South San Ramon Homeowners and the Homeowners Association of Twin Creeks represented residents' interests before the county. They joined service clubs and others in providing a local voice as developments replaced orchards.
In 1983, San Ramon voters decided overwhelmingly to incorporate as a separate city and took control over development, police, parks and other services. In 1992 Dougherty Valley- A Master paln community in San Ramon which is Appox 8-10 square miles which was brought by Windemere Ranch Blc and Shapell Industries Devlopors in 1992 and approved by Costa County Planning in 1994 witch will provided a variety housing close to local jobs in Tri-valley Area. At build out around 2015 depending on Housing Market, Dougherty Valley will be home to 1 High school, 2 middle schools, 4 Elementary Schools, 1 Community College, church, Commercial Centers, Village Center, Parks, Police sub station, Fire sub Station, Branch Library, Community Center for 30,000 residents which be added to San Ramon as well 11,000 units.
The city of San Ramon and Sunset Development Co. will partner to develop the new San Ramon City Center or Downtown on 40 acres within Bishop Ranch, .The project is located on 40+ acres at the intersection of Bollinger Canyon Road and Camino Ramon. The site consists of four properties, two are owned by the City and two are owned by Sunset Development. The four properties are an site just west of Central Park, a combined site south of Bollinger and east of Camino Ramon, a site just east of Chevron, to Camino Ramon, and the existing 14 acre Bishop Ranch 2 office complex. The project consists of three primary components: a major mixed use development on the 14 acre and sites consisting of approximately of high quality retail,50,000 square feet of second floor retail or office space, a 169 room upscale hotel, and approximately 487 residential units; City Hall, Library and Transit Center on the , and a Class A office complex on the site. The San Ramon City Center project has completed the entitlement process and has now moved into the preconstruction phase of the project. The City's partner in this project, Sunset Development, presented a detailed project schedule at the San Ramon City Council meeting on June 24, 2008. (Link to City Center Project Schedule) The entire project is expected to be completed by November, 2012. The Plaza District, the primary mixed use component of the project, is expected to be completed by October, 2011. The Plaza District will feature retail and dining opportunities, a public plaza, hotel, independent cinema and a mix of residential units. The City Center project also includes a New City Hall, Library, Transit Center and new office development. In total the City Center project consists of approximately two (2) million square feet on over forty (40) acres.
"Developing a City Center has been a dream for more than 20 years and dates back to the City's incorporation in 1983," said Herb Moniz, City Manager of the City of San Ramon. "The City Council is very excited about the prospect of creating a City Center that meets our economic development goals and provides a dynamic gathering place for the entire community of San Ramon."
"We are especially pleased that the San Ramon City Center project, so long in the making, will come to life at Bishop Ranch," said Alex Mehran, president and CEO of Sunset Development Company. "Sunset Development Company is proud to be part of this historic project that will enable the City to accomplish its planning objective of the creation of a city center, and will boost employment and economic development in San Ramon."
The City Center project is a true partnership between the City and Sunset Development. This is a shinning example of how well the City works with the business community, and how the City actively works through partnerships to improve the quality of life in San Ramon.
Originally, this city park located on a hill overlook Bollinger Canyon Road and San Ramon Valley Blvd, was to be named Alta Mesa Park. During the construction of the park, the City Council voted to change the name to Memorial Park to honor Tom Burnett, a San Ramon resident and other victims from Flight 93 killed on September 11, 2001. A plaque was installed at the base of a lighted flagpole dedicated to those victims and the surrounding meadow is part of the city's memorial tree program dedicated to local residents who have perished. The park was dedicated on September 11, 2002.
Local bus service in the San Ramon Valley is provided primarily by County Connection (Central Contra Costa Transit Authority, or CCCTA). Service includes:
Transit tickets for County Connection can be purchased at the San Ramon Transportation Offices, Community Center, City Hall, Senior Center and Library.
The San Ramon Transit Center is located along the Iron Horse Trail at the corner of Executive Parkway and Camino Ramon, and provides commuters with 54 parking spaces to meet a carpool, vanpool or bus. These parking spaces are available on a first-come first-serve basis and are free of charge. Bike Racks and Lockers are available at the Transit Center; bike lockers are covered, secured and can be rented monthly, quarterly or yearly. Bike racks are available on a first come, first served basis.
Athan Downs Montevideo Dr/Davona Dr
Bellingham Square Bellingham Dr.
Bollinger Canyon School Park 2300 Talavera Dr
Boone Acres Davona Dr./Pine Valley Rd
California High School 9870 Broadmoor Dr.
Centennial Park Westside Dr.
Central Park 12501 Alcosta Blvd
Country Club School Park 7534 Blue Fox Way
Country Faire Park Off Montevideo & Alcosta Blvd
Memorial Park] Bollinger Canyon Rd/San Ramon Valley Blvd
Village Green 9540 Village Pkwy
Walt Disney School Park 3250 Pine Valley Rd.
Windemere Ranch Middle School Park 11611 East Branch Pkwy
Valley View Park Monarch/Star Jasmine
Twin Creeks School Park 2785 Marsh Dr.
Souyen Park Albion Rd
Sherwood Park Sherwood & Chancery
San Ramon Sports Park with Tiffany Roberts Field 5261 Sherwood Way
Red Willow Park 190 Red Willow Rd
Senior Center Park & Gardens 9300 Alcosta Blvd
Quail Run School Park 400 Goldenbay Ave.
Windy Hills Park Ustilago
Old Ranch Park 1000 Vistamonte Dr.
Mill Creek Hollow 2100 Deerwood Dr.
Monarch Park 8502 N. Monarch Rd.
Montevideo School Park 13000 Broadmoor Dr.
Neil Armstrong School Park 2849 Calais Dr