San Francisco de Macorís
is considered as the third most important city in the Dominican Republic
and is also the capital of the Duarte Province
. It has had a very active role in the shaping of Dominican history, as it is known as one of, if not the most, politically active cities in the country. It is located in the northeast portion of the island, in the Cibao
(Serie56) region. It is the home town of the author Hilma Contreras and home town of the world renowned playboy Porfirio Rubirosa
The name San Francisco de Macorís comes from a fusion of the name of Saint Francis, patron saint of the Franciscan Order (a religious organization from Spain that had come to this territory during colonization) and the territory's old name, which is Macorix.
Location, Limits and Surface Area
The Province Duarte is located near the central subregion of the "Cibao Oriental" (Eastern Cibao), located between 19°02’ to 19°29’ latitude North by 69°39' to 70°23: longitude south. Territory spanning 1,605.35 km²: plus constructing the older province extension in the subregion.
Duarte borders with provinces María Trinidad Sánchez, Espaillat and Samaná to the north; with Samaná to the east; with Monte Plata and Sánchez Ramírez to the south; and with Salcedo and La Vega to the west.
The municipalities of Duarte cover the following areas:
- San Francisco de Macorís: 731.33 km²
- Castillo: 138.18 km²
- Pimentel: 125.13 km²
- Villa Riva: 289.55 km²
- Las Guáranas: 71.33 km²
- Hostos: 77.98 km²
- Arenoso: 171.85 km²
Physical geography and climate
San Francisco is in the valley of El Cibao, the most fertile region in the island.
The relief of Duarte Province ranges from 17 meters to 942 meters above sea level, reaching its highest elevation at Quita Espuela Hill (Spur-taker Hill). There are two main geologic regions: the north slope of the Cordillera Septentrional and the rough topography of the Delta del Yuna.
As much as the nation does, San Francisco de Macoris residents enjoy baseball and love to see the Dominican winter season with the local team being the Gigantes del Cibao
. Besides baseball, basketbal and volleyball is also played at a professional level in the city....
And one of the favorites of the people of san francisco dirt bike motocross as they have been constructed over 8 tracks in this city giving great figures and national champions competing in Latin America
Sites of Interest
- Estadio Julian Javier
- Hotel Las Caobas
- Hotel Libano
- Colonial Plaza
- Plaza El Tejar
- Plaza San Francisco
- San Diego Campo Club
- El Mayorista Club
Principle Avenue and Street
- Libertad Avenue
- Antonio Guzman Fernandes Avenue
- Los Martires Avenue
- Caonabo Avenue
- Frank Grullon Avenue
- Los Rieles Avenue
- Bienvenido Fuertes Duarte Avenue
- Salcedo Street
- Castillo Street
- La Cruz Street
- El Carmen Street
- 27 de Febrero Street
- Gregorio Rivas Street
- Colon Street
Dozens of restaurants, bars, clubs, and parks of the city provide recreation and fun attracting crowds of the city's inhabitants and tourists as wel, making it an active nightlife area.
The city has an extremely active nightlife which is considered by many people to be one of the best nightlife in the country.
Restaurants & Bars
- Luffero Cafe Bar: Situated in the San Francisco mall, being one of the most popular places of the town.
- El Tanque Restaurant Bar: It is located in the Castillo Street with Gaspar Hernandez Street.
- Rancho Papa King Restaurant Bar: It is located in Antonio Guzman Fernandez Avenue,the place were you could enjoy the night with your family and Friends.
- The Doors Lounge: A place mostly visited by young people. one of the most popular onSan Francisco too.
The city of San Francisco de Macoris also count with Internacionals Fast Food Restaurants like Burger King, Pizza Hut and Domino Pizza located in La Sirena Multi-Center.
Clubs & Parks
- San Diego Campo Club: (4 Stars) is the popular club near Las Caobas Hotel.This place is very visited during summer time by San francisco's population and also tourists.Its access is restricted to registered members only.
- The Mayorista Club: Another popular club of the city, located in the Antonio Guzman Fernandez Avenue. Many activities take place in it, such as sport like swimming, volleyball and the Nacional Sample Fair.
- Duarte Park: This park is very visited. It is located in the center of the city, in front of The municipal building and the Libano Hotel.Many activities take place in it, like Duarte's day where thousands of people including the President of the country re-unite to see the parade memorizing Juan Pablo Duarte.
- Los Martires Park: It is also located in the Antonio Guzman Fremandez Avenue,in front of Burger King, KFC and The Movie Theater. The park where you could see the cars entering the city.
The municipal building
The City Hall of San Francisco de Macoris, is the headquarters of the city counsel and city mayor. In this old building, politicians in charge of the Duarte Province meet to govern the Province.
Santa Ana Cathedral
This beautiful structure is a splendid mixture of gothic and modern architecture. It covers a complete city block, bound in the north by Santa Ana Street, in the south by Colon Street, on the west by Papi Olivier Street and on the east by Restauracion Street. The Santa Ana Cathedral is the headquarters of Obispo de la Diócesis de San Francisco and home to the renowned humanist, Monseñor Jesús María de Jesús Moya.
The Montecito de Oración
The Montecito de Oracion is a meditative center popular with both local Macorisanos and with tourists from throughout the world. This center of spirituality was donated by the Francomacorisanos and this located in 1-½ km along the highway San Francisco Villa Tapia. It is administered by the religious order of the Instituto de los Sacerdotes Diocesanos de Schoentatt.
San Francisco de Macoris, has several radio stations and publications. It's longest running newspaper is EL JAYA
which was founded November 20th, 1985. It's director and founder is the journalist Adriano Cruz Marte.
The Last Playboy
Porfirio Rubirosa, born January 22, 1909 in San Francisco de Macorís, was a Dominican diplomat, polo player and Formula One race car driver, but was best known as an international playboy for his jet setting lifestyle and legendary prowess with women. Rubirosa married Flor de Oro Trujillo, daughter of Dominican dictator Rafael Leónidas Trujillo Molina.
Other notable residents
The current Mayor of San Francisco de Macoris is Ing. Félix Manuel Rodríguez.