Sam Houston Race Park
is a horse racing track
located in northwest Houston, Texas
. Built at a cost of approximately $90 million and opened on April 24, 1994, the facility is the first Class 1 horse racing venue constructed in Texas.
Sam Houston Race Park's largest attendance was recorded on July 4, 1999 when 23,324 people visited. The race park is considered fastest growing race track in America based on attendance over the past year.
The race track hosts two live race meets annually. Thoroughbred horse racing is held each November through March. American Quarter Horse races are held from the end of June through September.
Races at Sam Houston
- The Grade III $200,000 Connally Breeders’ Cup Turf
- The $100,000 MAXXAM Gold Cup
- The $75,000 Martanza Stakes
- The $50,000 Jersey Lilly Stakes
- The $50,000 Sam Houston Turf Sprint Cup
- The $45,000 Mission Stakes
- The $45,000 Fort Bend Country Stakes
- The $45,000 Spring Stakes
- The $45,000 Sam Houston Oaks
- The $45,000 Texas Heritage Stakes
- The $45,000 Tomball Stakes
- The $45,000 Jersey Village Stakes
- The $29,250 Allen's Landing Stakes
- The $25,000 Space City Stakes
- The $25,000 Buffalo Bayou Stakes
- The $25,000 Black Gold Stakes
- The $25,000 Texans Stakes
Recently it has been cleared to host concert events during the summer.