is a commune
in the Somme département
in the Picardie
region of France
Situated some 3 miles southwest of Amiens
, between the N29 and D608 roads and a suburb of Amiens.
Evidence of Gallo-Roman
habitation can be seen from the air, featuring overlapping enclosures and a big farm building or villa.
Human remains and three tombs dating back to the Merovingian
era have been discovered within the commune boundaries.
In the early Middle Ages
, vines were cultivated in Picardie, and in this region in particular, as testified at Salouël by the parcel of land known as ‘Les Vignettes’.
a fulling mill was in use on the river Selle
, to process woollen cloth, which had previously been done manually.
Originally, Salouël was part of the parish town of Saleux
. The separation was made by imperial decree in December 11 1864
Its cantonal allocation has changed since 1790
: first integrated into the canton
, then to Sains
and since 1879
the canton of Boves
With Salouël being so close to Amiens
, it wasn’t just involved in rural activity over the centuries, unlike most of the surrounding communes. Since the Middle Ages, the development of craft industries and small workshops occupied most of the population.
After the Second World War
, and in particular since the years 1965-1970 the commune has been transformed by the successive establishment of the campus of a University and a large hospital.
Places of interest
Communes of the Somme department