Salmon River State Forest
is one of the state forests of Connecticut
The first purchase of lands which comprise the Salmon River State Forest was made by the State Board of Fisheries and Game in 1934. The Forest now contains nearly 6,000 acres
(24 km²) located in the towns of Hebron
, East Haddam
, and East Hampton
. Included in the forest area is 1,300 acres (5.3 km²) that are leased
from the United States government
The Salmon River joins the Connecticut River a short distance from East Haddam. It is probably the largest stream and watershed whose sources and mouth are entirely within the limits of Connecticut.
The towns in this area were settled during the early part of the 1700s and were typical of the early New England settlements. Streams and ponds were dammed to furnish waterpower for gristmills, tanneries, and later paper mills.
Salmon River has field sports, fishing, hiking, hunting, mountain biking, and an area for picnicking that includes picnic tables .
- Comstock Covered Bridge is the only remaining covered bridge in eastern Connecticut. This bridge spans the Salmon River near Route 16 in East Hampton.
- The Airline Trail follows the former railroad bed and features the 137 foot high Lyman Viaduct.
- A handicap accessible fly fishing area and a disabled veterans fishing area.
- The first sawmill in Marlborough was built in 1751 on the Blackledge River.