(more well known as "Sal the Stockbroker"
), born on October 24, 1968, is an American radio personality and comedian who joined the Howard Stern Show
as a writer in September 2004. He previously worked for brokerage firms
while frequently calling the Stern show to harass producer Gary Dell'Abate
. He is also part of The Killers of Comedy
, along with other Stern show cast members.
As a teenager, Governale made a rap CD under the names "Cool The Candy Rapper" and "G-Man". Governale claimed the company that produced his CD scammed him out of thousands of dollars. He was a member of the break-dancing group "The Circuit Breakers". Sal was also president of the Beastie Boys
fan club "Beastie Revolution" at age 17.
On the Stern Show
Governale began making his name on the Howard Stern Show
in early 1996 by harassing show producer Gary Dell'Abate
with prank calls
. Governale popularized the nickname "horse tooth jackass", a reference to Dell'Abate's notoriously enormous teeth. In the past, Governale has tried to capitalize on his notoriety by peddling "horse tooth jackass" merchandise, including t-shirts and CDs of his prank calls.
When Stern show staffer John Melendez left the show, Governale entered the show-sponsored competition to "win Stuttering John's job". Governale then produced more prank calls, Dell'Abate song parodies, and other show bits in an attempt to win the job. On July 1, 2004, the winner was announced. Governale found himself the runner up to current show staff member Richard Christy, with 24% of the vote to Christy's 30%. . Despite finishing second, he was soon offered a job with the show anyway. Governale and contest winner Richard Christy initially shared a general dislike for each other, but began working together as a team writing song parodies and making phony phone calls. They soon became such good friends that they often resort to homoerotic acts simply to amuse Howard and his listeners. Governale began working on the show on September 14, 2004. On his first day working for the show, Governale called WXRK General Manager Tom Chiusano a "douche bag.
Since he joined The Howard Stern Show
, Governale has engaged in what many would consider gay
acts, usually with fellow staff member Richard Christy
- On May 9, 2005 Sal revealed while under hypnosis that he would perform fellatio on Howard Stern if asked.
- On June 14, 2005, Sal put a banana through the fly of his pants, spat on it, and Richard Christy sucked it. Christy did this in order to meet one of his rock idols, Dave Grohl of the Foo Fighters. He had the option of doing that or being teabagged by Sal.
- By Governale's own account, some of his previous jobs involved illegal dealings. Sal used to work for high pressure telemarketing firms later charged with deceptive or fraudulent business practices. A report by The Smoking Gun found that Sal once sold bootlegged copies of rock videos on eBay.
- During a KISS concert on October, 3, 2000, at the Mohegan Sun Casino in Uncasville, Connecticut, Sal was thrown out after infuriating Gene Simmons from the front row. Sal thought it would make Gene laugh if he stuck his tongue out, put his fingers and wiggled them at Gene during the concert. Gene, however, found Sal to be a nuisance to him, found no humor with Sal's act, and had him thrown out.
- Sal has become notorious for his "crazy logic;" frequently jumping to bizarre conclusions based on racial prejudices and other largely irrelevant information, much to the amusement and occasional frustration of the staff and audience of The Howard Stern Show.
- Sal is among the only Stern Show staffers to be banned from attending the wedding of Howard Stern and Beth Ostrosky. Sal was briefly invited to the ceremony, but the invitation was revoked after he admitted on-air that he would more than likely be expected to pull an outrageous stunt at the ceremony if he were allowed to attend it. The ban also stems from a history of jokes performed by Governale at the expense of Beth O., particularly his characterization of her as looking like a horse. Ostrosky and Stern became further disgruntled with Governale after he personally promised to stop performing Beth O. jokes, yet continued.
- On April 26, 2007, during a segment entitled "Daddy or Dummy?", a game in which Gary Dell'Abate, Jon Hein, and Governale brought their children to the show, Governale urged his son, Antonio, to ask Robin Quivers if he could see her breasts. Stern lambasted Governale, saying the he'd gone "too far".
- It was discovered that Governale has an extremely poor grasp of history when astronaut Buzz Aldrin called in on August 15, 2007; Sal thought he was a former President. He also frequently confuses the Revolutionary War with World War I and, on one occasion, mixed up Christopher Columbus with George Washington, though soon afterwards realizing his error. When asked "Who gave the Gettysburg Address?" Sal responded "President Gettysburg." On August 22, 2007, Sal scored 48% on a US Citizenship test.
- On June 13, 2007; Sal revealed that he and his wife were having marital difficulties and had been in marriage counselling. These problems stemmed from his discovery of several e-mails and text messages featuring the number "143" (slang for "I love you") from a man his wife deemed her "emotional friend," though she claims they have not had sex. His co-workers Robin Quivers, Artie Lange, Gary Dell'Abate, Fred Norris and Howard Stern (all of whom have been critical of Sal on numerous occasions, both before and after this revelation) praised him for making the responsible decision to pursue therapy; however the terms "emotional friend" and "143" have since frequently been used to ridicule him on-air.
Killers of Comedy incidents
On Friday, March 23, 2007, during an appearance at the Lakeland Center
in Lakeland, Florida
with Gary Dell'Abate
, Richard Christy
, Reverend Bob Levy
, and Artie Lange
, Sal was mocking Dell'abate onstage by wearing a mask of Dell'Abate's face and dancing. Unable to see properly (he and others said later that the eye holes on the mask were far too small), he veered too close to the edge of the stage and fell an estimated seven feet. The drop caused him to break his left wrist in two places, left him with three bruised ribs, and a bruised left eye.
- "Hi, this is Sal Governale," (from his taped apology)
- "It doesn't matter what race you are, black, white, Italian, if you drink and do drugs, bad things will happen to you." (from his taped apology)
- "Unfortunately, I didn't represent myself properly on how I wanted to explain myself." (from his taped apology)
- "Why should I care about Christopher Columbus and his wooden teeth, chopping down his father's cherry tree?"
- "Asia, Africa, Tokyo, Mexico." (in response to the trivia question: 'Name 4 Continents')