The Sacramento Southern Railroad is a heritage railroad owned by the California State Railroad Museum which operates excursion trains on it.
The railroad extends from the museum property located in Old Sacramento south along the east bank of the Sacramento River levee.
The original Sacramento Southern Railroad ran south 24.3 miles to Walnut Grove, California via Freeport and was a "paper railroad" non-operating subsidiary of the Southern Pacific Railroad.
The line was constructed between 1906–1912, and the first train began operating over the line in 1909. It was merged in 1912 with the Central Pacific Railroad upon completion of the line to Walnut Grove. The line was extended to Isleton by 1929. In 1931, a three-mile extension of the branch reached the Mokelumne River.
The railroad later became a part of the SP system. Recent years have seen a resurgence in the road's freight business, serving a number of local industries via an interchange with the Union Pacific Railroad. Future plans call for expanding operations southward into the Sacramento River Delta area.
- Roberston, Donald B. (1998). Encyclopedia of Western Railroad History — Volume IV — California. Caldwell, ID: The Caxton Printers. ISBN 0-87004-385-4.